Monday, June 16, 2008

Boy are my fingernails grubby. I've been gardening like a fiend. I'm afraid to total up what this is costing me. I ordered two yards of topsoil today for the front. Then I'll replant some hostas and impatiens in there and call it a day. And move the spotted dead nettle. And, and, and... I'm sure I'll think of something else to do up there. The rest of the gardening is done except for hanging the window boxes. LBK finished putting on the trim today. And they need a coat of water sealant. I also got a new compost bin, which is huge, and luckily fits next to the back gate. I've got a good start on it already. Cleaned out the fridge and the fruit bowl today and whirled it all in the food processor to go in the bin. I also weeded the brick walk and threw those in, too. I want to get a rain barrel, but haven't made the trek out to the burbs to the garden center that I think has them. I'd love to find one on Freecycle. That's how I got the compost bin.

This is my last week of school until August. I will work one day next week, then take a trip for a conference in July for 4 days. I am doing really well on finishing up all my end of the year work. Hopefully, I will get everything done without feeling like I rushed to clean up.

I've been getting lots of new recipes on a few blogs I have been checking recently. The ones I've made from SmittenKitchen have been delicious. I'm trying to make more creative side dishes and she has some really simple ones that don't taste simple, like the zucchini with almonds, and a green bean one I'm going to try this week. In order to keep track of recipes so I can make them more than once, I'm abandoning my previous method of writing it on a post-it with out any title or citation (or directions, really). I have a small notebook that I am going to keep between the kitchen and the computer in which I will write down where it comes from, what it is, and how to make it. I'm sure in a manner that will only be decipherable to me, and hopefully to in-the-future-me, since that's it purpose.

Currently in the oven: Dried Cherry Buttermilk Scones, except I used dried cranberries. And dried buttermilk.

No comments: