Sunday, March 7, 2010

Valentina's Quilt

My very good friend finally, finally, had her baby girl!  She told me she was using lavender and green for the nursery colors.  I visited my LQS and bought a stack of Asian prints, but something about them just wasn't right for this project.  I went shopping again and ended up with fabrics I was much happier with.  A box of scraps I bought arrived just as I was in the middle of the piecing, and this little guy was just waiting to hop into my quilt.

 

Here are two blocks so you can see all the fabrics.

 





The finished front:

 
And the finished flannel back:

I used a piece of off white for the label and worked it into the piecing on the back.  I wrote a note to the new family, dated it, and put my initials along the side using a Micron Pigma pen.

I'm always nervous about being neat, evenly spaced, and accurate when writing a label.  I usually decide on the size of the label, then go to the computer.  I use Microsoft Word to create a text box of the same size, then play around with fonts, layouts and wording.  Once I'm happy with the label, I print it out and use a light table to copy it onto the fabric with the Micron pen.  If your fabric needs stabilized, you can also iron on a bit of freezer paper. 

I hope little Valentina loves her quilt!

No comments: