Monday, January 19, 2009

Weekend Cooking

In addition to the Chicken and Kale this weekend, I've made:

Fig Vodka to recreate the cocktail I had at Lola over Christmas



Buttermilk Scones with currents from 150 Best Recipes (all the pictures came out blurry).

Bacon and eggs and toast with a yummy dish of broiled Honeybells and grapefruit. I microwaved the juices in the bowl after slicing with a bit of sugar, then poured it over the fruit which was layered in a shallow gratin dish. Sprinkled a bit of brown sugar over and broiled until hot. It was a bit wet, but delicious and I poured the juices left in the dish into a small glass and drank them. Citrus is unexpectedly good warm.

Alsatian Apple Tart from Baking: From My Home to Yours which I think must be my all time favorite go to baking book. You parbake the crust, slice the apples and arrange in the shell, then pour over a bit of cream, eggs, vanilla and sugar blended together. It's not enough to be a custard pie, but it's enough to be a bit creamy and to hold the apples together. I think I like the Normandy Tart better, but LBK would chose this one, I think. Maybe a side by side is in order.

The Clementine Cake from Smittenkitchen, still in the oven



I also resisted, again, making cinnamon rolls. Maybe this week. I'm trying not to, so I don't eat the whole pan. This very limited drinking plan has caused me to lose 4 lbs, and I haven't had much of an appetite the past two weeks or so, except for very specific things. Side benefit of stress, I guess.

No comments: