Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day

I'm spending most of my snow day quilting.  Yesterday, I finished the binding on a quilt that I decided to keep for myself.  So now I have to make another one to replace it.  I've been interested in making the color wheel quilt from Last Minute Patchwork for awhile. I also have an ever growing pile of scraps, including a box of small pieces FQ size and smaller that I bought from Elizabeth of Oh Fransson quite awhile ago.  I've used some of them, and have some set aside for other projects, but I thought this would be a great way to use them up.

The finished quilt is rather large, so I'm scaling it down about 20% to make a quilt that is about 40" square.  Assuming my math is correct, that is.  We'll find out.

I started by going through my scrap bin, drawers and bag and sorting possible fabrics by color.  You can see the template I scanned in, then reduced and printed out.  I occasionally compared scraps to the template to make sure they were big enough.


After creating my piles, I ironed everything that need it, which was pretty much everything, then laid it out neatly in its color group.  Next, I put every color group in the order I thought looked best, starting with pink and ending with the browns.  You need 52 wedges.  I had 55 in my finished layout, so I called in some help to weed a couple out.  This is the line up before weeding.


This afternoon, I'll cut the template and start cutting the wedges.

No comments: