Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pizza: Onion, Corn, Thyme, Basil Oil


I had a delicious breakfast out with a friend this morning, a roasted asparagus skillet with a crispy layer of hash browns, asparagus, a little cheese, topped with two over easy eggs, white toast on the side.  I left the restaurant full, but not stuffed.  We shopped a bit and I wasn't hungry until well past our regular dinner time. 

I had mixed up some pizza dough when I had returned home, so we had two pizzas for dinner.  The first was a typical pepperoni with fresh mozzarella.  The second was from the Food Network magazine insert, 50 Pizzas.  I caramelized a small onion in olive oil and a bit of butter, adding some balsamic near the end.  I drizzled the dough with basil olive oil, added the onions and some corn I had sauteed in a skillet.  Added some fresh thyme and mozzarella.  Another quick drizzle with the basil oil as it came out of the oven.  Delicious and different.  We had an awesome Pasos Robles cabernet sauvignon from Trader Joe's.  I think I drank 1/2 the bottle, which is easily a glass too much on a Sunday night. 

We got some huge, super ripe strawberries at Costco, so I made strawberry shortcake for dessert.  I was pleased with how much my biscuits rose.

No comments: